This recipe is quick to make so great for a week night meal that everyone will enjoy. Plus the Catalane touch makes it a little spicy, especially depending on the heat of the chorizo you choose. Bon appétit, or as they say in Catalan, tenir gana!
Photo: A real treat - Laura's homemade Riz à la Catalane, Laura Crotet
For 4 people
- 1-1/4 cup long grain rice
- 7 oz chorizo (more or less)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 yellow pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 2 cups chicken or veggie bouillon
- Salt and pepper
- Finely chop the onion and garlic, and cut the pepper into thin slices.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet, add the onion, garlic and pepper and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the herbes de Provence, tomato sauce, salt and pepper and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- In another skillet, add the last 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then fry the uncooked rice on high for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice to the tomato mixture, then add the bouillon. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the rice is cooked. Check regularly and add water if necessary.
- Add the chorizo, and enjoy!
- Laura Crotet, France Just For You
If you would like to taste this typical dish and others while traveling in French Catalonia, contact us to help plan your trip.