From the Unesco city of Bordeaux and the surrounding world-famous vineyards, to the mythical beach towns of Biarritz and St Jean de Luz, feeling the fresh air of the Pyrenees foothills, and ending in the mysterious medieval town of Carcassonne . . . what a program!
based on double occupancy.
Step by step
Bordeaux region: Heritage & Wines
- Start your journey with 3 nights in a typical reconverted and charming chai (wine cellar), in the heart of the lively up-and-coming district of Bordeaux Unesco city - walking distance to restaurants and nice quality shops. You will be welcomed by a lovely hostess, in a peaceful atmosphere.
- Built along the banks of the Garonne river the opulent merchants' homes are very specific to Bordeaux. The rise of colonial trade together with the growth of the wine industry contributed to the amazing expansion of the Gironde region during the 18th century. You will find everything you need: from villages nestled into the Medoc or St Emilion vineyards, to the bustling night life in Bordeaux. Also, bear in mind that Bordeaux's Sainte Catherine Street is the longest shopping street in Europe!
- Visit a Medoc wine estate with an English-speaking guide: from the vineyards near the castle to the wine storehouses. After the tour, you'll make your own blend with different varieties and end this 2hr tour with a …wine tasting.
- On the 4th day, you will drive South towards the Basque Country – about 2hr30.
The Basque Country: Culture & Sceneries
- Stay in a typical Basque Country villa for 4 nights in the heart of the Basque Country. The B&B is located 3 miles from the beach but in a very quiet landscaped garden. From there, you will discover the seaside from St Jean de Luz to Biarritz and also take trips to Spain, which is about 1hr drive.
- We will craft your days so you get a feel of everything the Basque culture has to offer, and there is a lot: taste the local “Bayonne hams” after strolling a valley discovering the traditional and still alive mountain pig farming, get acquainted with the Basque weaving tradition, try to make your own Basque cake or stroll one of the many farmers markets.
- Several “most beautiful Villages of France” will be on your scenic drives – and you may witness there some locals playing the Basque Pelote game at the town’s fronton. Nature and outdoors lovers will enjoy endless walks and hikes in the Pyrenees foothills, occasional walkers will relax on the walks along the beaches and enjoy a coffee at a terrace watching surfers.
- You will also follow a local guide in Biarritz. He will give you the keys to the Basque culture: so you will understand about the Basque language and the traditions and festivals such as Pelote or Basque Force. You will end this tour at the covered market, tasting some Basque pr
Carcassonne & the Cathars
- The medieval town of Carcassonne will amaze you by its size and conservation. You will reside in a charming Boutique-Hotel in a typical "bastide house" for 2 nights, 3 miles to the medieval city, in a very quiet ambiance.
- In the Cathar country, walkers/hikers will be rewarded with breath-taking landscapes and fortresses such as Quéribus or Perpeytuse. History lovers will be passionate by the Cathar history. Wine lovers may be surprised by the quality of the “Minervois” wines which have improved a lot in the past 10 years. They are now on the wine lists of some of the most famous restaurants in the world.
- We can arrange for you to then travel to Barcelona, Toulouse, Italy or Paris depending on your plans.
This trip will be full of strong and pure emotions.
Bordeaux Wine tasting & blending
Visit a Medoc wine estate with an English speaking guide: from the vineyards to the wine storehouses. After the tour, you'll make your own blend with different varieties.
A Private Guide to introduce you to the Basque culture
Follow a local guide in Biarritz, by the Ocean. He will give you the keys to his city and to the Basque culture. You will end this tour at the covered market, tasting some Basque produces: cheese, hams and wines.