Explore the South West of France: its cliff hanging fortresses in the Cathar Country and Dordogne, “most beautiful villages of France” and very rich and unique gastronomy.
based on double occupancy.
Step by step
Carcassonne Medieval Heritage
- Carcassonne and the Cathar country are quite unknown but do deserve a visit. Carcassonne medieval “Cité” will amaze you by its size and conservation.
- You will reside in a charming house in the lively Bastide town, walking distance to the medieval city and to restaurants.
- In the Cathar country, walkers/hikers will be rewarded with breath taking landscapes and fortresses such as Quéribus or Perpeytuse. History lovers will be passionate by the Cathar history.
- Wine lovers may be surprised by the quality of the “Minervois” wines which have improved a lot in the past 10 years. They are now on the wine list of some of the most famous restaurants in the world.
- On the 4th day, you will drive about 3hrs along the Pyrenees Mountains get to the Basque Country.
Le Pays Basque: Culture and Outdoors
- From the Atlantic coastline, its waves and tanned surfers to the rugged Pyrenees Mountains. From the peacefulness of the Basque untouched villages to the lively nightlife in Saint Jean de Luz, the Basque Country will not disappoint.
- Stay in a former sheep farm lavishly renovated for 5 nights, in the heart of the Basque Country. Your lovely hostess will be happy to share some tips with you. At night, relax at the outside jacuzzi or by the swimming pool with a Mountain breathtaking view.
- We will craft your days, so you get a feel of everything the Basque culture has to offer, and there is a lot: taste the local Bayonne hams after strolling a valley discovering the traditional and still alive mountain pig farming, get acquainted with the Basque weaving tradition, try to make your own Basque cake or stroll one of the many farmers markets.
- Get introduced to one of the most famous game of the Basque culture: la pelote. Meet with a former international player you will explain you about this mythical game history, the different variants…and then get on the ground and play: A very fun & cultural experience!
- Several “most beautiful Villages of France” will be on your scenic drives. Nature and outdoors lovers will enjoy endless walks and hikes in the Pyrenees foothills, occasional walkers will relax on the walks along the beaches and enjoy a coffee at a terrace watching surfers.
- We will also plan for you to explore the very near Spanish Basque Country and spend some time in San Sebastian unmissable town.
- On the 9th day, drive North to Dordogne. We will plan for a nice stop along the way.
Dordogne: Duck, Knights & Nuts
- End your sightseeing expedition in the Dordogne region. In Black Perigord you will stay in a restored stone house for 4 nights and share a mouth-watering dinner with your Hosts. Your lovely hosts will happily share with you tips and hints to help you make the most of your journey.
- Dordogne is famous for the prehistoric caves in Lascaux and we'll recommend you a much more intimate visit, in a 20,000 year old cave. If you are interested in history or if you are a JM Auel reader, this is a must! Visit the old city of Sarlat and feel the buzz of activity on market days.
- Spend a special day with Bea, your private guide in Dordogne. She will take you back to the prehistoric and medieval times...away from the beaten paths.
- There is a lot to do in this region: medieval castles to visit, wonderful food to taste - we'll tell you where to find the most typical goat cheeses - and if you like outdoor activities, you'll be in paradise.
- You may return the rental car back to Toulouse or Bordeaux airports or stations – less than 3 hrs drive from your last B&B.
A great trip to get away from the beaten paths!
Pelote Game with a Player
Get introduced to one of the most famous game of the Basque culture: la pelote. Meet with a former international player you will explain you about this mythical game history, the different variants…and then get on the ground and play: A very fun & cultural experience!
Private Guide in the Dordogne
Spend a special day with Bea in Dordogne. She will take you back to the prehistoric and medieval times...away from the beaten paths.
Walk back on the prehistoric men footsteps, in 20,000 year old painted caves - access is limited to 40 person per day.