This is my mother’s orange marmalade recipe and it has been improved over the years. This marmalade tastes sweet rather than bitter. It’s delicious to have on toast for breakfast.
For 7 to 9 jars of marmalade:
- 2.5 lbs of oranges (weigh the oranges with both ends cut off)
- 1 yellow lemon
- granulated sugar
The preparation of this orange marmalade does not take too long, but it's spread across 3 days.
- Cut the entire oranges and the lemon into small pieces. (Do not peel the fruit)
- Add 7,5 cups of water.
- Let it rest for 24 hours.
- On a preserving pan, let it cook for 1 hour on a rolling boil. (Do not cover)
- Let it rest again for 24 hours.
- Weigh the dish and add 1.3 lbs (or 1lb and 5 oz) of granulated sugar for each pound.
- Let it cook for 1 hour on a rolling boil, once again.
- Put the hot orange marmalade into jars, close them and leave them upside-down for an hour. The air will come out and the marmalade can be stored for several years (before opening). This technique works for all type of jam.
ENJOY your perfect orange marmalade!