France Just For You has organized its own very special Tour de France. No need for a bike but be ready for a great deal of adventure! This itinerary will take you off the beaten path to all the must sees & dos throughout 4 of the most enthralling regions of France.
based on double occupancy.
Step by step
The Loire Valley : small roads along the river
- From Paris or CDG airport, drive the rental car for 3 hours to the Loire Valley. We will recommend a great stopover to rest on the way.
- You will spend the first 4 nights in a charmingly restored townhouse, in the heart of a very lively town in the Loire Valley. From there you can walk everywhere included to Leonardo Da Vinci's final dwelling.
- Discover all the marvels of the Loire Valley: the castles of Chambord, Chenonceau and Azay-le-Rideau, the old cities of Saumur, Chinon and Amboise.
- Touraine is also famous for its vineyards – Chinon, Bourgueil, Vouvray and many more – and we have planned for you to discover some local wines with a wine maker. She will take you to her vineyards and explain about the vine growing, then you will go to her cellar so you can taste some wines (sparkling and still), together with some local food products.
- Your second stop for 3 nights is a Grands Crus Classés wine chateaux. Experience Saint Emilion vineyards staying at one of the places where everything happens, right in Saint Emilion's vineyards. Away from the crowds, you will enjoy what Saint Emilion wines have to offer.
- Built along the banks of the Garonne river, the opulent merchants' homes are very specific to Bordeaux. You will find everything you need: from villages nestled into the Medoc or St Emilion vineyards, to the bustling night life in Bordeaux. Also, bear in mind that Bordeaux's Sainte Catherine Street is the longest shopping street in Europe!
- Very near Saint Emilion, we have planned a private tour to a famous wine estate: after visiting the estate from the cellars, to the vats, passing by the vineyards to understand the different grape variety, you will enjoy a picnic lunch together with a tasting of 3 different wines.
- In Black Perigord you will stay in a restored stone house for 4 nights and share a mouth-watering dinner cooked by your Hosts.
- Dordogne is famous for the prehistoric caves in Lascaux and we'll recommend you several more intimate visits, in 15,000 to 20,000 year old caves. If you are interested in history or if you are a JM Auel reader, this is a must!
- We'll tell you where to find the most typical goat cheeses - and if you like outdoor activities, you'll be in paradise. You'll also visit the old city of Sarlat and feel the buzz of activity on market day.
- We have selected the best section of the Dordogne river for you to canoe down enjoying the wonderful views of the medieval castles perched on cliffs high above you.
- Your last Bed & Breakfast for 4 nights lies just outside a lovely village on the slopes of Mont Ventoux. This former mas house belongs to your hostess’s family for 4 generations and is surrounded by olive and cherry trees. One night, your host Chris will cook a delicious Table d’Hôtes dinner which you will enjoy under the arbor.
- Mont Ventoux remains the most authentic part of Provence, with little villages such as Vaison la Romaine, Malaucène and Bedoin and dramatic landscapes like “les Dentelles de Montmirail
- Discover quaint villages of the Luberon, riding an electric bike. You will have several itinerary options, from easy to sportive, for you to explore hidden hamlets, chapels in the vineyards, wineries, road-trails in the olive trees and evergreen oaks. A great day, at your own pace
- Go shopping in Aix-en-Provence or take a sunbath near Cassis. Arles, famous for its arena dating back to the Roman Empire, will take you 2,000 years back in time.
We recommend you to fly out of Marseille to save time and tiredness. Otherwise, we will be happy to help you plan transportation to your next destination.
After that, will you still watch the “Tour de France” on TV?
Wine estate visit & tasting
Visit a wine estate with its owner in the Loire Valley. She will take you to the vineyards to explain about terroir, soils and vine. Then you will enjoy a wine tasting together with some local food products.
Tour a St Emilion Winery
Visit a wine estate near St Emilion with a private English speaking guide. After the tour, you will enjoy a picnic lunch together with a tasting of different wines from the estate.
Canoe Down the Dordogne River
Go down the Dordogne river at your own pace in a canoe...we have selected the best section for you to see several castles standing guard high above you!
E-Biking Day in Provence
Spend a day in the Luberon gorgeous landscapes driving an electric bike. Several itinerary options for you to enjoy biking at your own pace.