This year for Easter, we decided to do a brunch instead of dinner. I did however, want to make a Spring-themed dish using new Spring carrots. This is an easy recipe and packed with protein, so it is great for your vegetarian night.
For 4 people
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 cup grains (I used barley, but you could use farro, quinoa, etc.)
- 1 bunch of Spring carrots (cleaned and trimmed)
- 3T butter
- 2T honey
- A few saffron threads
- A handful of roasted almonds
- ½ cup crumbled feta (or more if you love feta)
- 1T cidar vinegar
- French mint leaves
- Pepper to taste
- Cook the grains and the lentils according to the package instructions (both my barley and lentils took about 10 minutes).
- Blanche the carrots until just tender. This time will depend on the size of the carrots (mine took about 7 minutes).
- In a skillet, heat the butter, honey and saffron over medium heat. Add the carrots and gently turn them for about 3 minutes to glaze each carrot with the sauce.
- Chop the almonds into slivers.
- When the grains and lentils are done, mix them together.
- To serve, place the grains-lentils on your platter first, then arranged the glazed carrots. Add the feta, almonds, a few mint leaves and pepper to taste. Finish the dish by adding the cidar vinegar to the remaining butter-honey mix, and pour that over the top.
The dish ready to be served - ©Laura Crotet
To continue with the Spring theme, we enjoyed our meal with a crusty French baguette and a rosé from Provence.
Happy Spring and Bon Appétit!
- Laura Crotet, France Just For You
If this recipe makes you want to whip up some more delicious meals, find other great recipes in the France Just For You blog.