Explore French culture and history in three of its most representative regions: the Loire Valley, Dordogne and the Riviera, with a nice stop in Carcassonne.
based on double occupancy.
Step by step
The Loire Valley
- Spend the first 5 nights of your trip in the outbuildings of a disappeared monastery dating back to the 14th century. Your charming hosts know this region very well and will be happy to share some tips with you. One night, you will share a delicious home-cooked dinner, prepared by Monsieur. Do not miss the aperitif in the underground vaulted cellar - an out-of-time experience!
- Feel the real French "good life" strolling around peaceful villages on market days. Included in this itinerary is an electric bike rental for a day. You will explore, at your own pace, the nature, villages and castles along the river. No worries, the path along the Loire river is totally flat!
- Visit a Chinon winery run by a charming couple who come from generations of winegrowers. Enjoy a commented tasting of the wines with some very local specialties.
- In Black Perigord, you will stay in an old stone Perigord style house for 5 nights. One afternoon, you will enjoy a cooking workshop with your hosts - followed by a mouth-watering dinner shared with Nat & her husband and fellow travelers.
- Dordogne is famous for its amazing prehistoric caves. If you are interested in history or if you are a JM Auel's reader, visiting one is a must! There is a lot to do in this region: medieval castles to visit, wonderful food to taste - we'll tell you where to find the most typical goat cheeses - and if you like outdoor activities, you'll be in paradise.
- We have selected the best section of the Dordogne river for you to canoe down, enjoying the wonderful views of the medieval castles perched high above you.
Carcassonne & the Cathar Country
- Carcassonne and the Cathar country are the perfect stop over on the way to Provence. Carcassonne's medieval “Cité” will amaze you by its size and conservation. You will reside in a cozy B&B, by the walls of the Cité, within walking distance to all sightseeing and restaurants – but away from the tourist crowds.
- On the 12th day, you will have the longest drive of the itinerary: 4hr30 drive to reach Nice on the French Riviera.
The French Riviera
- In the Riviera hinterland, you will have the opportunity to discover some of the most beautiful handicrafts in France, particularly ceramics, sculptures and paintings. For art lovers the many art museums of Nice and its surroundings will amaze you with masterpieces by Chagall, Matisse and Picasso.
- You will end your journey with 4 nights in the heart of a lively hilltop village in the back country, 7 miles – 11kms to the beach. Enjoy a peaceful atmosphere – away from the crowds - having a drink at a table at an outdoor cafe or strolling around a farmers market. Enjoy staying in a luxury B&B house, full of artwork and with lovely hosts - a very unique place.
- In one of the most famous perfume houses, be introduced to the perfume making technics and make your own fragrance, which you will keep as a great souvenir!
- But the Riviera is even more than all this. The “Cote d’Azur” is a marvel of fabulous 19th century villas and sapphire water coves. From Antibes to Monte Carlo, seaside resorts will satisfy all your shopping desires during the day. At night you can rely on the Riviera bars, seaside restaurants and discos to entertain you.
After this trip, you will definately want to come back . . .
A Winery Visit & Tasting in Chinon
Visit a Chinon winery run by a charming couple who come from generations of winegrowers.
Enjoy a commented tasting of the wines with some local-product snacks.
Biking day in the castle's country
Spend a day on an Electric Bike at your own pace and discover many castles nestled in the nature. Enjoy a nice picnic with wine. We have tested several itineraries so you can chose depending on your mood and what you would like to see.
Cooking Class & Dinner
Spend a late afternoon with your hosts preparing local dishes from the Dordogne region. Then you'll enjoy a convivial and savory dinner with your hosts.
Riviera Perfume Workshop
In one of the most famous perfume houses, be introduced to the perfume making technics and make your own fragrance - which you will keep as a great souvenir!