Both Guillaume and I and our girls love cooking together when we’re at home, and this week we were making yummy profiteroles! This popular dessert is normally a popular option among dinner guests, so we invite you to try our recipe at home.
Guillaume helping Jeanne and Pauline with the chocolate sauce... mmmm! (Photo© France Just For You)
For about 8 to 10 profiteroles (we usually serve 3-4 profiteroles per person)
- 50cl of milk
- 7cl water
- 1 small teaspoon of salt
- 2 small teaspoons of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 75g of all-purpose flour
- 45g of butter
Choux bun filling:
- vanilla ice cream
Chocolate sauce topping
- 150g of chocolate
- 1 tablespoon of salted butter (or regular butter with a bit of salt on the side)
- Milk (which you will add gradually until you achieve a nice creamy/syrup consistency)
Making the Choux
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/360°F.
- In a pan, mix the milk + water + butter + salt + sugar and heat on the stove until it starts boiling.
- Take the pan off the stove and add all the flour at once. Mix until you get a paste.
- Put the pan back on the heat for about 1-2 minutes to “dry” the paste a bit.
- Take it off the stove and add the 2 whole eggs. Mix until you get a nice and homogenous paste
- Put the paste in a pastry bag and make 8 to 10 choux on an oven tray covered with baking paper (a silicone plate is even better, if you have one)
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
Very important: never open the oven during the cooking.
Choux buns in the oven (Photo© France Just For You)
Next, prepare the filling and chocolate sauce
- Take the vanilla ice cream out of the freezer about 10-15 min before, so it’s soft to scoop out
- Start preparing the chocolate topping in a pan by melting the chocolate + butter.
- Adding milk gradually as you go until you reach the good consistency.
Tip: It's better to use a bit too much milk than not enough, otherwise the sauce will dry and make a paste.
- Take the choux out of the oven and leave to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the top 1/3 of the chou and fill it with ice cream.
- Once all the plates are ready, add the chocolate sauce topping and serve and eat right away!
Jeanne and Pauline tucking into their homemade chocolate profiteroles (Photo© France Just For You)