This self-drive itinerary will take you to the South West of France, from the Basque coastline to authentic Dordogne, ending in the bustling city of Bordeaux.
based on double occupancy.
Step by step
The Basque Country: ocean & mountains
- Your trip starts in the Basque Country where you will stay for 6 nights in a lavishly decorated former farmhouse, between Biarritz and Saint-Jean de Luz.
- From here, you will discover the Basque Country from the Atlantic coastline, its waves and tanned surfers, to the rugged Pyrenees Mountains, from the peacefulness of the untouched villages to the lively nightlife in Saint Jean de Luz. The Basque Country will not disappoint.
- We will craft your days so you get a feel of everything the Basque culture has to offer, and there is a lot: taste the local Bayonne ham after strolling a valley and discovering the traditional and still alive mountain pig farming, get acquainted with the Basque weaving tradition, try to make your own Basque cake or stroll one of the many farmers markets.
- Several “most beautiful villages of France” will be on your scenic drives – and you may see some locals playing the Basque Pelote game at the town’s fronton. Nature and outdoors lovers will enjoy endless walks and hikes in the Pyrenees foothills, occasional walkers will relax on the walks along the beaches and enjoy a coffee on a terrace watching surfers.
- Get introduced to one of the most famous game of the Basque culture: la pelote. Meet a former international player who will explain the history of this mythical game to you, the different variants, and then get you on the ground to play - a very fun & cultural experience!
Dordogne: the Sleeping Beauty
- In Black Perigord, you will stay in a restored stone house for 5 nights, nestled between the woods and the Dordogne river, perfectly located to explore the area. Your lovely hostess will open her home to you - which is filled with personal touches (artwork, books, photographies).
- Dordogne is famous for the prehistoric caves in Lascaux and we have included a much more intimate visit, in a 20,000 year old cave. If you are interested in history or if you are a JM Auel reader, this is a must! Visit the old city of Sarlat and feel the buzz of activity on market days.
- There is a lot to do in this region: medieval castles to visit, wonderful food to taste - we'll tell you where to find the most typical goat cheeses - and if you like outdoor activities, you'll be in paradise.
- Get a different perspecive going down the Dordogne river at your own pace on a canoe. We have selected the best section for you to see several castles standing guard high above you!
Bordeaux Unesco City
- Your journey ends inside the gates of Bordeaux UNESCO city for 4 nights, a wonder of the 17th century. You B&B is a typical and charming stone house, in the heart of the lively up-and-coming neighborhood of Bordeaux - walking distance to restaurants and nice quality shops.
- From here, you will explore the whole Bordeaux area, from the Arcachon Bassin to the Saint Emilion vineyards.
- Built along the banks of the Garonne river, the opulent merchants' homes are very specific to Bordeaux. The rise of colonial trade together with the growth of the wine industry contributed to the amazing expansion of the Gironde region during the 18th century.
- In a famous wine estate, we have planned a special tour for you: after visiting the estate from the vineyard to the cellars, learning about the different grape varieties and wine-making process, you will play the sorcerer's apprentice and make your own Bordeaux wine (your own blend). You'll see that it's not that easy!
- You will find everything in this region: from villages nestled in the Medoc or Saint Emilion vineyards, to the bustling night life in Bordeaux. Also, bear in mind that Bordeaux's Sainte Catherine Street is the longest shopping street in Europe!
Welcome to the South West of France - you may never want to leave!
Pelote Game with a Player
Get introduced to one of the most famous game of the Basque culture: la pelote. Meet with a former international player you will explain you about this mythical game history, the different variants…and then get on the ground and play: A very fun & cultural experience!
Walk back on the prehistoric men footsteps, in 20,000 year old painted caves - access is limited to 40 person per day.
Canoe Down the Dordogne River
Go down the Dordogne river at your own pace in a canoe...we have selected the best section for you to see several castles standing guard high above you!
Bordeaux Wine tasting & blending
Visit a Medoc wine estate with an English speaking guide: from the vineyards to the wine storehouses. After the tour, you'll make your own blend with different varieties.